The disaster caused by gun violence can be seen in almost every community. We may hear briefly about the victims and survivors of these shootings, but what happens after the media attention moves on and the wider public becomes numb to “just another shooting”? Here are just a few things you, your organization or congregation may consider to help put a stop to gun violence in and around your community:
- Contact your representatives in Congress and ask that they:
- Support universal background checks and waiting periods for all gun purchases.
- Support a ban on semiautomatic assault weapon, armor piercing handgun ammunition and .50 caliber sniper rifles.
- Identify the organizations in your community engaged in gun violence prevention and get involved.
- Attend a peaceful demonstration or public prayer service to end gun violence.
- Contact your mayor and city council members and demand that steps be taken in your community to prevent gun violence.
- Help close the gun show loophole that allows purchases with no background checks.
- Schedule a screening of Trigger: The Ripple Effect of Gun Violence for your group or organization.
- Join or form a local chapter of Heeding God’s Call, a faith-based movement to end gun violence. Check out www.heedinggodscall.org for more.
- Ask the leaders of your worshiping community to address gun violence in worship services and education classes.
- Learn about your state’s concealed carry laws, which may allow guns to be carried openly. Encourage your places of work and worship to prominently display signs that prohibit carrying guns on their property.
- Encourage those you know who regularly handle weapons properly to be wise examples in reducing risks and teaching how to prevent the misuse of deadly force.
What are some other ways you, your church or other community organizations may be able to help end gun violence in and around your community?